Friday, September 5, 2008

How much love?

"Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law." Romans 13:8


The bible tells us to love love love and to let that be the only thing that you never stop doing.

I was reading about the verse and stumbled upon this, I thought it was explained wonderfully!:

"Did not our failure to meet our obligations to God and man accrue for us an unpayable debt? Now that the debt has been paid, we are obliged not only to strive to avoid further indebtedness, but also to expand and perfect the giving of love.

This paradox is more apparent than real, because love is not an added duty but the inclusive framework within which all duties should be done. Love is the motivating power that frees and enables us to serve and sacrifice with largeness of heart and generosity of spirit."
(Copied from "http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Bible.show/sVerseID/28275/eVerseID/28277"

Recently I've been thinking about care. My problem is that when I love someone or if I really care for someone, I'll show it to the most fullest extent. There are just a few people in my life that I care for like no tomorrow, I care for them so much that if something happens to them, it feels like it's happening to me also. If they are happy it makes me happier to see them happy. If they are going through some sort of emotional struggle, I'll feel them also and it hurts me a lot. Even if they don't consider me their friend I'll still feel for them.

An example; I have this friend who I care for VERY deeply whether this person notices or not. I treat this person like I'm living their life. I'll call this person Nancy for the sake of not naming their real name. There was one day Nancy came up to me and said that she was scared because she found out that she had some weird bodily condition and she never experienced anything like this before. Normally she's a very joyful girl, but that day, her mood was SO off and it was affecting me too because I felt her pain. That night during praise all I was thinking about was how God can help her in a time like this and how I, as a friend, can help her also. It was hurting me a lot and it made me tear to see her like this. I didn't know what to do but just to react normally and continue on being a regular friend, because that's all I could do -- listen to people's problems and nod. So recently Nancy has been exceptionally happy because there has been some positive changes in her life. Every day I see her, she has a smile on her face and this dream of hers was actually becoming reality. Seeing her eyes twinkling and grinning from one ear to the other couldn't make me any happier! When I love and truly care for someone, I feel everything they are feeling and I would truly go out of my way to always be their for them no matter what the cost is.

So the Bible tells us that that is love. He tells us to love one another and I'm pretty sure that means all. I love some. That "motivating power that frees and unables us to servce and sacrifice with largeness of heart and generosity of spirit", I have that only to limited people. Sometimes I feel that, hm that's life deal with it, I'm just a limited human being and I only have the ability to love some; other times I think, what if Jesus was to only specifically love some and not all? Yeah, that's not right, that's not what living this life is all about. Though I'm just mere human, I live a life to follow Jesus, he did it and because of Him, I should be able to do it also.

Lord, please help me to genuinely love & care for all and not some because I know Your love is unconditional and I want to share that with all those around me.

4 comments:

  1. "Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law." Romans 13:8

    funny, that verse goes real well with my financial status right now, heh!

    i shall keep ur friend in prayer, this "Nancy" ;)

    stay blessed joan
    God is love =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOOO~ and Welcome to blogspot! ;D*

    sucked u innnnn~ muhahah ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. let's get every1 else in on it~! HOLLA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you! I read this and thought of you with your glasses and cute little self and your house on Kissena Blvd!!!! :)

    Looking forward to reading more :)

    Eunice

    ReplyDelete