Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Internship

I've almost officially completed my first year of internship. As long as that sounded, it went by faster than I thought. Although I have not completed even 50% of my hours, I'm not too worried. Earlier in the semester, I found out my supervisor was leaving after the semester ends. I was pretty disappointed because I didn't know that I had to find another internship and not continue at the current place I'm at. It didn't seem like he cared much at the time because he was probably going through his own personal issues, but he just said it's probably best for me to find another internship to gain another experience and this site doesn't know if they can secure interns yet.

Last week, I bumped into the dean/pastor on the elevator. He turned over to me and said:
Pastor: "Hey are you graduating this semester?"
Me: "No, unfortunately not, I'm in the decelerated program"
Pastor: "Oh, what's that?"
Me: "It's when we intern for less hours a week and complete our internship experience in two years rather than one."
Pastor: "Oh. Say, do you happen to be interested in continuing your internship with us next semester?"
Me: "Sure, but I was under the impression that I should look for another one but if I had the opportunity to continue my internship here, I'd love to! Have you secured a new counselor yet?"
Pastor: "We've been interviewing and I think I should have a decision by this week."
Me: "Oh wow, that sounds great. Can you let me know?"
Pastor: "Definitely."

So we parted ways and initially, I gave up hope about continuing my internship experience here although that's what I wanted to do. I was actually looking forward to find another internship to gain a different experience, possibly a more clinical one. I started putting together my resume and such, but week after week, I just didn't feel ready to send out my resume, because I didn't give my resume and cover letter enough time and attention. I only sent it to one person, like four weeks later, and he told me he'd get back to me because they are seeing if his site is willing to hire interns for the year.

Well, he still hasn't gotten back to me but I wasn't too worried. And then the pastor/dean situation happened. I started thinking about all these thoughts.. like since I'm going to have a new counselor, she will be coming in with new experience, so it would be so awesome to stay. Then I'd be able to continue with my current clients and actually hone my skills. After this year, I finally feel like I'm getting more comfortable and adjusted, and it would be a shame to leave so soon.

I spoke to my current supervisor and asked him his thoughts. He actually said it would be a good idea. He put a good word in for me. And a day later, I emailed pastor/dean to follow up with him. With quick response, he said "YES!". That actually made my day.

This week, I was also ending my sessions for the semester with many of my students. As much as it's frustrating/hard to counsel sometimes because it's so hard to see progress, I heard some feedback from a couple of students and I'm glad that God used me to make an impact in their lives.

1 comment:

  1. So you're staying at your current site? Who's the new supervisor? =D Congratulations! -Car

    ReplyDelete