Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Day 3

1 Peter 3: 15
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respsect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good beahavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

As I was reading this book, many things stood out to me, but this was in particular.
I remember back then people asked me, "Joan why are you always so happy?" and things of that nature. Or "Joan, why do you really believe in God and go to church every Sunday?"

I used to answer them very blankly. Not really knowing exactly why I did, I knew why but I didn't know how to put it in words. My response to them would be ... blank stare, clueless sort of... and say "Just cus." or ".. Because of God." But those were such vague answers, answers that can not show anyone why I really do what I do, how I feel how I feel and how God can be revealed through that.

So what is my real reason for hope that I have? While I was reading the chapter, I read it again a couple of times to understand the Bible's reason for hope, the reason to always do good and suffer for it.

1 Peter 2:25 --"...By his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls."
1 Peter 4:3 --"For you have spend enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do..."

The 2 verses above speak about how we were before we had a relationship with God. We were like sheep going astray. We were doing things displeasing to God. And what I realized was that, none of that had purpose. It wasn't worth it although it was fun at the moment. Where was the value? What are we going to gain from that or how can we help others with that?

We want to "suffer for what is right (3:14)" and we will be blessed.

On top of that, after already knowing the truth, and knowing how important it is to live a holy life, 1 Peter 4:7 says to "be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray."
We have to turn away from things that keep us away from God, so that we are able to go with him just as we are, sincerely and earnestly to pray to God and ask him for his mercy and grace.

When we go to God and pray to him, we have the priviledge of "(5:7) Casting all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." Doesn't that make us feel so great, to know that we do have a God who truly cares for us.

Lastly, "If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner? (4:18)"

Man, hearing that kind of makes me scared. I remember someone once told me,
"Joan, if you were to turn bad, what would the rest of world be like."

God entrusted us to follow Him and the least we could do is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment