Saturday, March 8, 2014

Death

--- Saturday ---

This morning, we found out that one of the church members past away due to breast cancer. She's been in and out of the hospital the past couple of months, she's been coping with it and trying to stay and strong and positive as she could. Actually, she might've been the only person in the whole church that was the most servant hearted and smiled even through her struggles.

She has three kids - ages 13, 8 and 5 and a husband. Every week in church, you could see how close the children are to their mothers, I wonder how much the parents prepared their children prepared for this. I knew that the kids knew that mom was sick, but did they know how sick? I wonder what I would do if I were in the parents position. How would I bring it up to the children? How would I cope with it as a mother. Such tough decisions to make.

--- Sunday ---

We went to church this morning and it was pretty silent and heavy day. Crying and tears here and there but it was funny because the kids and the husband came to church and they didn't have any tears shed. It was all the other members who were crying.

Anyway, I overheard in the midst of conversations that the youngest one asked "Where's mom?" the next morning after mother's death.

While I had her on my lap while singing praise songs, she turned around to me and said, "My mom died." She didn't show much emotions, couldn't tell whether she was happy or not. But I was just extremely sad and so I tried so hard to tear without her seeing. It might've not hit her yet but it's so painful to see these young kids without their mother who loved them so much.

After lunch, David told me her heard the saddest thing in his life. He was talking to the middle one and was like -- You know your moms not dead right? She goes "I know". "You'll see her again someday". She goes: "I know, but I wish I could still touch her." GAH!

Either these kids are strong and have been prepared well or they are still in shock that their mother died. Whatever the case is, just imagining what it's like without a mother is heartbreaking.

This reminds me of a couple of years ago when one of the little girls at the old church asked me: "Can you be my mom?" With confusion, I asked her: "How come you want me to be your mom, you already have a mom." And she goes: "My father died when I was a baby, what if my mother dies too?" Man. Sigh.

1 comment: